One of the most frequently asked questions Jason and I get at Run Your BQ is our opinion of the Maffetone Method.
You may have heard of Dr. Phil Maffetone and his unusual training philosophy which, put simply, suggests that running slow — almost exclusively — will make you faster.
It sounds a little out there, but since first reading one of his books a few years ago, I’ve heard from complete beginners and elite runners who have all had success training with the Maffetone Method. Even Rich Roll used it while training for the Epic 5.
In this new episode of NMA Radio, I talk to Phil Maffetone about his approach to training, and learn more about why he believes you need to run slow in order to run fast.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- The truth about heart-rate training
- Balancing the aerobic and anaerobic systems … and what that means
- Are you fit but unhealthy?
- How to calculate your heart-rate zones
- How diet impacts whether you’ll burn sugar or fat
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and you like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!