NMA Radio co-host Doug recently attended a bachelor party, where while discussing meals for the weekend, it became clear that one of the guys wasn’t comfortable with Doug’s being a vegan.
We’re all having meat. What are you going to eat, Doug? Carrots?
We’ve all been in this situations like this. It’s that moment at a restaurant, party, or dinner when all of a sudden people realize you’re vegan or vegetarian, and don’t know how to react. Before you can even say a word, someone gets defensive or pokes fun of your diet.
So what do you do? Usually, we react in one of two ways. Either:
- You use it as an opportunity to make a point, defend your diet choice, and maybe even convince a few people, or
- You brush it off and keep the mood light, in an attempt to make veganism appear as normal as possible.
I’m not saying either of these better than the other; I respect both choices. But I know the one that I choose, almost every single time.
In today’s episode, we discuss these two approaches, and how Doug and I handle the uncomfortable situations at parties, with family, and while out to dinner. We also share the rest of Doug’s story, and how by the end of the weekend, he got that same guy to take interest in the vegan diet.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Why your diet makes others uncomfortable
- Matching a joke with a joke to defuse an uncomfortable situation
- Is eating cheese worse than wasting cheese?
- Why Doug ate a non-vegan dish at a family breakfast … and why he thinks this was the right choice
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and you like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!