I’ve been writing a lot recently about setting big, crazy, and unreasonable goals … and Nicole Antoinette certainly knows a thing or two about the subject.
Over dinner in Los Angeles two months ago when our conversation turned to running, I asked Nicole if she was training for anything. Knowing Nicole as someone who had run a marathon or two and likes a good challenge, I figured she might be thinking about a 50K or 50-miler.
Casually, Nicole told me that she had something slightly bigger in mind. She planned to run across the country — from Santa Monica, CA, to New York City. And not on some undefined, it’ll-never-happen day in the future, but starting on March 1, 2015.
Let me say that again — Nicole has run two marathons, and nothing longer. And she’s going to run across the country next year.
At a time of year when we tend to think a little bigger than usual, it was an absolute pleasure to have Nicole as a guest on the No Meat Athlete podcast. In this inspiring episode, we talk about goals, accountability, her plant-based diet, and so much more.
Enjoy the episode!
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- How Nicole set a monster goal as a way to change her story
- The essential components of an effective goal
- What goes into running across the country
- How Nicole plans to stick to her plant-based diet while crossing the country
- How to stay excited about a goal that’s more than a year away
- 3 steps to goal setting that most people get wrong
- How to make choices now to keep your goal on track in the future
- Why Nicole quit drinking alcohol
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio, we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Links from the show:
- A Life Less Bullshit (Nicole’s blog)
- What Are You Waiting For? (Nicole’s announcement of her goal to cross the country in 2015)
- Nicole’s review of No Meat Athlete
- Wake Up: 31 Days and Actions to Take Charge of Your Life — Matt’s new ebook (with Nicole’s goal-setting formula as a bonus!)
- Doug’s 100-mile goal announcement
- How to Pull Yourself Out of a Slump
Books we discussed: