Leaving your college dorm at midnight, to drive seven hours each way. For a sandwich.
Using your dishwasher to create a floor-to-ceiling foam party in your (carpeted) living room.
Planning a 40-city book tour all by yourself.
All things I’ve done that seemed like a good idea at the time, but in hindsight weren’t my best ideas ever.
But when it comes down to it, I can’t honestly say that I regret any of them. Not even the foam party, which resulted in moldy carpet and four sick roommates.
As for the book tour, I definitely don’t regret the decision to do it … just the heroic attempt to plan it myself. Thankfully, my mom (yep, my mom) stepped in and saved me from a nervous breakdown last week, and I’m pleased now to announce that the schedule is just about set.
No Meat Athlete’s big splash this weekend
After I announced the bonuses for pre-ordering my book (which comes out October 1st, less than two weeks away), things got crazy.
That same day, the Huffington Post republished a fun No Meat Athlete post, and ess hit the proverbial fan, in the best way possible.
Hundreds of you bought the book, and helped No Meat Athlete to reach #53 on the Barnes & Noble Top 100! It spent three days at #1 in Amazon’s Running & Jogging category, even reaching #1 in Individual Sports.
And although it eventually fell from these spots, I had to remind myself: the damn thing is not even out yet! Who knows what will happen then. Needless to say, I’m extremely grateful for all of you who have pre-ordered and helped make that all happen. Thank you.
If you plan on buying the book but haven’t yet, do yourself a favor and don’t miss the pre-order deal.
Announcing the tour dates!
Without further ado, whining, gloating, or advertisements — wow, brilliant post you’ve crafted so far, Matt — let’s get to the fun part: the tour dates!
I’ve created a new page with all the dates, venues, and locations. I hope you’ll try your best to make it to an event, because:
(a) I’m so pumped to meet No Meat Athlete readers, and
(b) it will suck to high heaven if I’m 2,537 miles away from my family and talking to an empty room, before heading out for a run all by myself. No pressure, or anything. 🙂
A few things to note about the tour schedule:
- You’ll see that a handful of venues are still TBD (so actually, there is another minute of planning …). Consider those “Save the Dates”; if nothing else I’ll plan informal meetups in those cities, but hopefully I’ll line something up for each of those (and many have things in the works already). If you’ve got ideas, let me know!
- I created a Facebook event page for most of the events, if the host didn’t already do so. If you’re interested in coming to an event, please use that event’s Facebook page and RSVP or click “Maybe,” so that you get updates about it. Letting us know you’re coming (even if there’s a chance you’ll have to bail) is extremely helpful for estimating how many people will show up.
That’s it! I know I’ve pitched a fit about planning this beast, but I’m beyond excited to actually start the tour. It’s tough to explain just how much anticipation I’m feeling … I can’t wait to hit the road, meet a lot of amazing people, and spread this message that I believe is so important.
I hope I’ll see you out there.
The Kickstart Plan includes:
- A 7-day meal plan, built around the foods worth eating every single day
- 14 of our favorite recipes that pack in the nutrition, taste great, and are easy to make
- Focused on simplicity and speed, to minimize stress and time commitment