Quick announcement: In case you missed it on Black Friday, the 2015 No Meat Athlete Vegan Fitness bundle is officially live! You can save 85% on 22 great plant-based fitness products, many of them from authors you’ve heard as guests on NMA Radio. But this special bundle deal lasts only until Wednesday morning at 10am EST, so don’t miss it! Get all the details here.
By now, you know that protein isn’t the big deal that most people make it out to be.
But one reason the “Where do get your protein?” question exists, in my observation, is that as vegetarians and vegans we don’t have a simple, concise, and satisfactory answer.
We can talk about how we need much less than most people think, and how protein is in almost everything we eat, but unfortunately, this doesn’t often do much to convince anybody.
But now, thanks to surgeon Garth Davis, M.D., we can hand them a book. Garth is the author of Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It, and it was a pleasure to have him as a guest on No Meat Athlete Radio to talk about all things protein.
(Oh yeah: Garth’s quick answer to the protein question? “Food.”)
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- The shortest good answer to “Where do you get your protein?”
- How much protein we really need each day
- Why too much protein is unhealthy
- Do athletes need more protein?
- How the world became unhealthily obsessed with protein
- Is there any truth to the advice that you should combine proteins within a meal?
- How to deal with conflicting information on the web
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher so you never miss an episode
If you like what we do at NMA Radio, we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
ALOHA: Visit ALOHA.com to check out all the revitalizing greens, cleansing teas, pure and powerful protein bars, snacks, and so much more that they have to offer. While you’re there, use promo code ALOHA20 to get 20 percent off orders of 50 dollars or more through December 31st, 2015.
Thrive Market: An online shopping club offer the best brands and groceries up to 50% off retail price, and shipped all over the US for free. You never have to pay full price for healthy food again. Go to thrivemarket.com/nomeatathlete to start your free 2-month trial and 15% off your first order.
Phone number to ask listener questions: