They say you never get a second chance to run your first half marathon.
Alright, maybe they don’t, but they should.
Your first big race — whether it’s a half, a full, or something else — can be a downright unforgettable experience, one in which you learn on a deep level when you cross that finish line that you’re capable of something that you may very well have thought impossible before.
Or it can be unforgettable for other reasons — like endless Porta-Pot stops due to nerves, a bad bonk when your adrenaline gets the best of you in the excitement of the start, or worst of all, the humiliation of failing to finish the race you trained so hard for.
My problem during my first marathon, 10 years ago now, was #2. (That is, the second thing I listed — nothing to do with Porta-Pots, thank you very much.)
But first races don’t all end up so distastrously: NMA’s own Ben Benulis, relative-newbie runner, just ran his first half marathon last Saturday in San Antonio, Texas, and it was an absolute success. No stomach issues, no bonks, and medal around his neck at the end of it. In this episode of No Meat Athlete Radio, I sat down with Ben to talk to him about what he did to make his first half marathon such a success. If you’re thinking about running your first half marathon in 2012, you won’t want to miss this one.
In this episode Ben and I talk about:
- How long you need to train for your first half marathon
- The time commitment half marathon training requires
- How to fit strength training into a half marathon training program
- The importance of being flexible in your approach (even when it means skipping runs)
- How the fruitarian diet helped Ben during his training
- How Ben got a sense for his body’s “different gears” to find his race pace
And at the end, I share a few details about what we’re planning for our No Meat Athlete training group for the inaugural Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Marathon and Half in Washington, DC next March. (It’s St. Patrick’s day, so as Susan pointed out, even if the whole thing is a disaster, at least there will be green beer.)
Click the button below to listen now:
Other listening options:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes
Links from the show:
- Ben’s video recap of his race
- San Antonio Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon, Ben’s race
- Half Marathon Roadmap, Ben’s training program
- Ben’s post about his fruitarian diet
As always, if you like the show, please help us out by leaving us a rating and review on iTunes (visit our iTunes page and hit the blue “View in iTunes” button). Thanks!
Got a question for Ben about his first half marathon? Leave it in the comments below and he’ll answer it.