You’re not here to be preached to. And I’m not here to preach.
In fact, I’ll come right out and say that a plant-based diet might not be for you. But I’ll also say this: You won’t know until you try. And the potential benefits are enormous:
- Weight loss, which often leads to increased speed
- Easier digestion and faster recovery after workouts
- Improved energy levels to help with not just athletic performance but your day-to-day life
- Reduced impact on the planet
Just ask some of the best endurance athletes in the world, who do much more than “get by” on a plant-based diet: they choose to fuel with plants, because that’s what they’ve learned gives them the best results.
No Meat Athlete is about giving you tools, not preaching. We’re all about training tips, recipes, advice on how to transition, and the occasional dose of inspiration — so that even if now isn’t the time for you to start eating less meat (but especially if it is), you’ll know you’ve always got someone in your corner to help you out.
What others say about No Meat Athlete
- “I love your no-pressure, non-sanctimonious approach. I’m finding so much amazing useful content on NMA, I can’t even begin to tell you how much you are helping me.” -Maureen O’Donnell
- “I had no idea where to start my vegetarian journey, and your site has been so incredibly helpful. Being an endurance athlete, fueling and eating properly are so important not only to my overall health, but to my athletic performance as well, and I have learned so much from you site already in the two short months that I’ve been reading. Thanks for all your help!” -Courtney, Neenah, WI
- “Your website is an IMMENSE source of assurance and hardcore info. It truly helped ease any fear and doubt as to being able to first, get all the nutrients I needed as a vegan and athlete.” -Ricky Ferdon, Georgetown, SC
- “I had been seriously debating giving up vegetarianism because I thought and felt that it was detrimental to my training. How wrong I was! No Meat Athlete’s advice and practical information educated me on not only how to be a better healthier vegetarian but also a better, faster athlete, runner, triathlete. I am now considering going not only pro but also vegan with Matt’s help.” -Chris, Sewanee, TN
- “Your insight into training meat-free has been a true inspiration. I was vegetarian for 10 years and then became a meat-eater to train because I thought it was the only way. Boy was I wrong. I’m so happy to know that I can train, run, be healthy and still be a vegetarian. THANK YOU for being my cyber coach in all of this!” -Jess, Burbank, CA
- “I came across your blog shortly after making the decision to go veg and can’t even begin to tell you what an awesome resource it’s been for me. I look forward to every email and can’t wait to get your Half Marathon Roadmap! I don’t consider myself a runner, but hey — until recently I didn’t think I could be a vegetarian either and now it’s been 5 months and I feel better than ever.” -Nicole, Chattanooga, TN
- “I have been plagued by running injuries for years, but last Sunday I ran my first marathon in 3:44 and it felt great! No Meat Athlete was my number one source of information during my training, and I couldn’t have done it without your information on nutrition, form, gear, training, and motivation.” -Cait, Worcester, MA
And here’s what a few elite athletes have said about the No Meat Athlete Marathon Roadmap:
“Passion and drive aren’t all that’s needed to successfully run your first marathon. You need to have a plan –- a map, if you will –- to get through a run of this distance. And for that, I highly recommend the Marathon Roadmap. It covers all the pitfalls to ensure you won’t make them.”
-Brendan Brazier, vegan professional Ironman triathlete, bestselling author of Thrive, formulator of Vega natural sports nutrition line
“This book takes you deep into everything you will need to know to get it done right – from goal setting, to training to diet/nutrition and all the way through the race, it is an outstanding and very comprehensive primer. Soup to nuts – its all in there. A must read!”
-Rich Roll, elite ultra-endurance athlete, one of Men’s Fitness Magazine’s “25 Fittest Guys in the World” in 2009, author of Finding Ultra
About Matt Frazier
No Meat Athlete was founded in 2009 by Matt Frazier, at about the same time he went vegetarian. Six months later, Matt qualified for the Boston Marathon with a time of 3:09:59 at the Wineglass Marathon, over 100 minutes faster than his first marathon time seven years prior.
In June 2010, Matt ran his first 50-mile ultramarathon, and has run several more ultras and marathons each year since.
When he’s not running, cooking, or blogging, Matt enjoys reading, gambling, music, and brewing beer. He lives in Asheville, North Carolina with his wife, son and two rescued dogs, and is the author of the upcoming book, No Meat Athlete: Run on Plants and Discover Your Fittest, Fastest, Happiest, Self.
No Meat Athlete currently has over 20,000 subscribers and is viewed by over 300,000 unique visitors each month. Matt and No Meat Athlete have been featured in several books, including:
- Thrive Foods: 200 Plant Based Recipes for Peak Health by Brendan Brazier
- Finding Ultra by Rich Roll
- Healthy Tipping Point by Caitlin Boyle
- Rebel Running Guide by Steve Kamb and Jason Fitzgerald
- The Luxury of Less by Karol Gajda
- Simple Ways to Be More with Less by Courtney Carver
In addition, Matt and No Meat Athlete have also appeared or been referenced in the following magazines and websites: