Michael Greger, MD on How Not to Die
I admit I’ve been a bit behind the curve when it comes to the considerable force that is Dr. Michael Greger, author of the new (and gigantic) book, How Not to Die.
As one has always preferred reading text to watching video, it took me a while to discover what an incredible resource his site, NutritionFacts.org, is. There Greger posts daily videos about nutrition, based heavily on the distilled results of scientific journal articles and watchable in four minutes or less.
But when I watched several of his presentations on last year’s Holistic Holiday at Sea cruise — he gives more than 100 talks per year — I became an instant fan. What I didn’t know then was that he donates all of his speaking fees, doesn’t profit from his website, and gives away all his book royalties, too.
Benevolently, I’m sure, but with the pleasant side effect of preserving his scientific integrity, giving his recommendations that much more weight in my eyes.
Oh, and Dr. Greger is also the Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture at the Humane Society of the United States. No big deal.
I was fortunate to get Dr. Greger to slow down (sort of: he recorded this interview from his treadmill desk, on which he walks 17 miles each day) to record a 40-minute interview for NMA Radio, and it’s my pleasure to share it with you today. It’s one of my favorite episodes to date, and when you listen, you’ll get an immediate sense for Michael’s enthusiasm and benefit from his immensely deep understanding of health and nutrition.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Do we not need “diet” books at all?
- Why nobody needs to give up their favorite foods
- When we might starting living forever (it’s sooner than you think)
- How to deal with conflicting nutrition information on the internet
- Dr. Greger’s interesting definition of whole foods — and when we can improve on nature’s foods
- Should Twinkies be on the Paleo diet?
- Coffee: good for bad?
- Dr. Greger’s thoughts on oil
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher so you never miss an episode
If you like what we do at NMA Radio, we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
ALOHA: Visit ALOHA.com to check out all the revitalizing greens, cleansing teas, pure and powerful protein bars, snacks, and so much more that they have to offer. While you’re there, use promo code ALOHA20 to get 20 percent off orders of 50 dollars or more through December 31st, 2015.
Thrive Market: An online shopping club offer the best brands and groceries up to 50% off retail price, and shipped all over the US for free. You never have to pay full price for healthy food again. Go to thrivemarket.com/nomeatathlete to start your free 2-month trial and 15% off your first order.
Phone number to ask listener questions:
Links from the show:
- The Holistic Holiday at Sea vegan cruise (Dr. Greger and I will both be there again this year!)
- How Not to Die by Michael Greger, MD