A few months ago, I wrote a post called How I’ve Begun Changing My Life, One Habit at a Time.
Surprisingly, that post ended up getting more links from other sites than just about anything else I’ve written here, and generated tons of emails from readers excited about creating their own habits.
The ideas in that post spawned my own running streak, where I ran for 70 consecutive days. And my podcast co-host Doug, since starting his own streak, has crossed the 100-day mark and is shooting for 400 (!) days.
But I know how hard it is to start a fitness habit; I’ve been there often after taking breaks that last a little longer than planned. And though it’s much easier to get back into it after a break than it is to start from scratch, the principles for getting started or re-started aren’t so different.
Since “How do I get started with running?” is a question we constantly get in the 1-800-Flowers.com Inbox, Doug and I figured it’s a subject worthy of a podcast episode. (Note: we don’t really have a sponsored inbox, just a disorganized and overflowing gmail account.)
This episode is a long one, and it’s packed with info — so packed that after listening to it, we decided we need to lighten it up next time! But it’s an important topic, and if you’re struggling with getting started, then I think you’ll find a lot of helpful stuff here.
Here are the questions Doug and I address in this episode:
- How do I get started if I have never been a runner? (20:00)
- Should I start running with minimalist shoes? (28:45)
- How to deal with trouble breathing after a long break from running. (33:00)
- Getting restarting with extra pounds (37:45)
- Getting back into running with a busy schedule and kids (42:00)
- When jumping back in, do you have to follow the 10% rule? (49:15)
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes
Links from the show:
- The Best Goal is No Goal (not an opinion we hold, but worth considering)
- The Power of Habit (Amazon affiliate link)
- How to Not Suck at Building Healthy Habits
- Couch to 5k
- Runner’s World Beginner’s Program
- How Should You Breathe When You Run?
- How to Avoid Shin Splints and Stress Fractures
Our phone number where you can call in to submit your question for next episode: 707-786-3429