- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 C canned or homemade refried beans (make sure they’re vegetarian!)
- 1.5 cups salsa (I used Wild Harvest Organic Chipotle)
- Shredded cheese to sprinkle
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups romaine, chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Cilantro to garnish, chopped
- Hot sauce to finish
- Avocado slices to serve on side
- Parchment paper for baking
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the refried beans over medium-low heat to reheat (or microwave). Same with salsa. Heat half the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering and nearly smoking, add 3 or 4 tortillas and fry until barely crispy, 20-30 seconds per side. Drain on paper towels, add more to the pan if needed and let it reheat before doing the next batch of tortillas.
Spread the beans over the crisp tortillas; top each with salsa and onions and a little bit of cheese. Bake for 15 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, yogurt, and cilantro, in that order. Add hot sauce at table and serve with avocado slices.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Vegetarian Refried Bean Tostadas