- Scone Ingredients:
- 1 cup DryLentils (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried Currants or other dried fruit, nuts, or chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Medjool Dates, pitted (about 7 dates)
- 6 tablespoons Agave Nectar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Organic Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Water or Nondairy Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon White Vinegar
For the Scones:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Rinse 1 cup of dry lentils, then combine with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until tender. Drain and let cool.
In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 1/4 cup of warm water. Stir and set aside to thicken.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and currants. Set aside.
In a food processor, process the lentils, dates, agave nectar, almond extract, and flaxseed paste until smooth. Fold this lentil mixture into the dry ingredients. Continue folding lightly with a spatula to combine.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten and pat with your hands into about a 10×10 inch square, around 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 16 equal squares. Cut each square in half diagonally to make 32 triangles.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with flour. Place the cut triangles onto the sheet about an inch apart. Bake for about 15 minutes, until puffed and firm. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Make the icing by mixing together the powdered sugar, water, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Lightly drizzle the icing across the cooled scones just before serving.
Inspired by Starbucks Petite Vanilla Bean Scones
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Vegan Vanilla Bean Scones Recipe