- 12 Hard or Soft Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups Dry TVP
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning (as few fake ingredients as possible, or make your own)
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded and minced
- 12 Romaine or Green Leaf Lettuce leaves (whole leaves, don’t chop!)
- A handful of chopped cilantro
- Salsa, Taco Sauce, and/or Hot Sauce (Green Sauce made from pure jalapenos is my favorite)
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Lime, cut into sections
Rehydrate the TVP by mixing with just less than 2 cups of boiling water in a bowl and letting it sit 5-10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
Prepare the tortillas however you like. If using hard, I heat them in a 325 degree oven for 5 minutes. If using soft, I heat them for 30 seconds each side in a dry skillet over medium heat.
Add the oil, rehydrated TVP, soy sauce, taco seasoning, and 1/4 cup of water to a pan over medium heat; stir occasionally until the water is absorbed.
Place one lettuce leaf in each taco shell (this way if it breaks, the lettuce holds everything in place). Add cooked TVP, cheese, salsa, scallions, jalapenos, cilantro, and fresh lime juice. I like that order, but only YOU can decide what’s best for your TVP tacos.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: TVP Taco Recipe