- 5-6 cups Good-tasting vegetable or faux chicken stock (makes 4 servings)
- 1-2 Stalks lemongrass , minced (see link below), OR 3-4 Tbsp. frozen prepared lemongrass (available at Asian stores)
- 3 Whole kaffir lime leaves (available fresh or frozen at Asian food stores)
- 1-2 cups Soft tofu, sliced into cubes
- 1-2 Red chilies, sliced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili, OR 1-2 tsp. chili sauce
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-size piece Galangal OR ginger, sliced into thin matchstick-like pieces
- 1 cup Fresh mushrooms (I used shiitake), sliced
- 2 cups Baby bok choy, leaves separated or chopped if large, OR substitute broccoli or bell pepper
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 can good-quality Coconut milk
- 1 tsp. Brown sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp. Soy sauce (use wheat-free for gluten-free diets)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed Lime juice
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil + 1/3 cup fresh coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
Pour stock into a soup pot. If making the stock from cubes or powder, be sure to make it strong (if it tastes good on its own, it will make for a better Tom yum soup!). Now add the prepared lemongrass, plus the lime leaves, chili, garlic, and galangal or ginger. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes, or until broth is very fragrant.
Add the mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
Add the bok choy and cherry tomatoes. Gently simmer 1-2 more minutes (bok choy should remain on the crisp side).
Reduce heat to low and add the coconut milk, sugar, soy sauce, and lime juice. Finally, add the soft tofu and gently stir.
Do a taste-test, adding more chili or chili sauce if not spicy enough. If not salty enough, add more soy sauce or a little more stock cube/powder or salt. Add 1 more tsp. sugar if too sour. If too salty or sweet, add another squeeze of lime juice.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls with fresh basil and coriander sprinkled over. Enjoy!
Note: Although I prefer my Tom Yum with coconut milk, more traditional versions of the soup don’t include it (instead, they increase the amount of stock).
I did a Google search for “Thai lemongrass soup vegetarian” and came up with this recipe.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Vegan Thai Lemongrass Soup Recipe