- 2 cups Cooked Adzuki Beans
- 1 cup (about 15) Fresh Medjool Dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Water (may substitute yerba mate, green tea, or coffee)
- 4 tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Natural Nut Butter (I used cashew, but almond, sunflower seed or peanut butter is fine)
- 4 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 3/4 cup Pinole, or Stone Ground Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Maca Root powder
- 1/2 cup Hemp Protein
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Puffed Millet
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Raw Almonds
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with baking spray or 1 tbsp melted coconut oil.
Mix together the pinole, maca root powder, hemp protein, chia seeds, flaxseeds, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
In a food processor, puree the beans, dates, and water. Stir the agave nectar, cashew butter, applesauce and lime juice into the puree. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry. Fold in the puffed millet and almonds.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan; bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool, then cut into 24 bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Vegan Pre-Workout Energy Bars Recipe