- 2, 15oz cans Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Carrot, minced (or processed)
- A big handful of Fresh Parsley, minced (or processed)
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced (or processed)
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- 1-2 Tbsp your favorite Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, garlic, salt, etc)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 cups of Marinara Sauce
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, combine carrot, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, oil, and beans. Mash with a potato masher (or use a food processor) until the mixture is sticky and relatively homogeneous. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Form the bean mixture into 1-inch balls and align on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once midway through, until the bean balls are nicely browned all over. While the bean balls bake, heat up the marinara sauce in a saucepan, and add the bean balls to the marinara when they’re done. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to combine the flavors. Serve over pasta or on sub rolls.
Inspired by The Vegetarian Mother’s Cookbook.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Spaghetti and Bean Balls Recipe