- 1 3/4 lbs Grated Carrots (eye ball this from a 2lb bag of Whole Carrots and chop in a food processor, or get pre-grated)
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 cup chopped Dried Mangoes
- 1 cup packed chopped Dates
- Zest and juice of 1 Orange (just under 1/2 a cup of OJ)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
If starting with whole carrots, process to very small pieces or if you have the energy grate them by hand. Stir together the carrots, walnuts, the 1/2 cup of chia seeds, mangoes, and orange zest. In a food processor, puree the chopped dates, orange juice, 2 tbsp of chia seeds, vanilla extract, agave nectar, cinnamon and salt. Mix the puree into the carrot mixture- you may need to wash your hands and get in there to get the job done!
Line a 8-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. It doesn’t have to be perfect because the weight of the batter will weigh the plastic down into the corners. Refrigerate the cake overnight. I didn’t plan the timing correctly so I just stuck it in the freezer for a couple hours, which turned out fine but I imagine overnight is slightly more solid. Turn the cake over onto a plate, and garnish with orange slices and extra carrot peel.
This recipe was inspired by the No-Bake Carrot cake in the book Sweet Alternatives by Ariana Bundy.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Raw Vegan Chia Carrot Cake Recipe