- 1 large Garlic clove, crushed
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Roasted Cashews
- 1 cup cooked or canned Chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and blotted dry
- 3/4 cup Wheat Gluten Flour (vital wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sweet or Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 dry White Wine
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- 2 tablespoons minced Fresh Parsley
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Margarine
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor, combine the garlic and cashews and process until finely ground. Add the chickpeas and pulse until chopped. Add the flour, soy sauce, paprika, turmeric, and salt to taste and pulse until well mixed.
Turn the mixture out onto a work surface and mix with your hands for a minute or two to fully incorporate. Divide the mixture into eight pieces and shape into 1/4-inch-thick medallions.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the medallions, cover, and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the medallions to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you make the sauce.
To the same skillet, add the wine, lemon juice, capers, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by a third. Swirl in the margarine, stirring until melted. Transfer the medallions to dinner plates and drizzle with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from 1,000 Vegan Recipes.
Read the blog post where this recipe originally appeared: Vegan Chickpea Piccata Recipe