For 91 episodes of No Meat Athlete Radio, we refrained from talking about protein. It’s almost as if we wanted to prove a point.
I wish this had been intentional. But maybe the fact that it wasn’t makes the point even more strongly: protein really just never came up when we brainstormed ideas for topics.
But although longtime vegans and vegetarians know that protein just isn’t the issue most people make it out to be, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have the conversation. If the protein hang-up prevents most people from giving a plant-based lifestyle a chance, then it’s worth talking about.
So here it is: the protein episode.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- How much protein you really need
- Could complete proteins actually be dangerous?
- Common myths around protein
- Why we don’t take protein powders
- Our favorite vegan protein sources
- Tofu, tempeh, and seitan — good or bad?
- Doug’s smoothie-making class
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and you like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Phone number to ask listener questions:
Other links from the show:
- Finally, the Truth About Soy (Zen Habits)
- Dr. Fuhrman’s articles about IGF-1 and complete proteins (see pages 1 and 4)
- Food for Fitness by Chris Carmichael
- Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman
- Isa Does It by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
- Shred It by Robert Cheeke
- Whole by T. Colin Campbell
I believe that plant-based is the healthiest way you can eat -- both for how you feel and perform in the short term, and for long-term health. But there are a few nutrients that are hard to get from plants, and I didn't want to take a whole multivitamin with so much extra that I'm already getting from my food. That's why I created Complement Plus, the perfect nutrient formula for plant-based athletes.
Complement Plus brings together, in one place, the essential nutrients that are missing from a reasonably diverse, whole food plant-based diet:
- DHA/EPA Omega-3s
- Minerals like zinc, iodine, and selenium
Click here to learn more.