Two episodes ago, Doug and I discussed the book Blue Zones, and the common habits of people who live to be over 100 years old. In that episode, Doug asked if I had made any lifestyle changes after reading the book. I named a few, but forgot to mention the biggest.
I purchased a standing desk.
You may have read one of the articles floating around about the overwhelming research indicating that sitting is killing us. Runner’s World even calls sitting the new smoking. They argue that the inactivity and hunched over posture is affecting our joints and mobility, and is even linked to diseases like heart disease and cancer.
But us runners don’t have to worry about that, right? Wrong.
In today’s episode, Doug and I discuss the problems sitting can cause on our health, and why even runners should be concerned. The best part? We quote facts!
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- How Matt cured his frequent headaches
- The effects of sitting on the average person
- The effects of sitting on the athlete
- Simple habits for moving more frequently
- How to use a stand-up desk
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Links from the Show
- Sitting is the New Smoking: Even For Runners (Runner’s World)
- Taking a Stand for Office Ergonomics (New York Times)
- VariDesk Pro Stand-Up Adjustable Desk
- VariDesk Standing Desk Floor Mat
Phone number to ask listener questions:
I believe that plant-based is the healthiest way you can eat -- both for how you feel and perform in the short term, and for long-term health. But there are a few nutrients that are hard to get from plants, and I didn't want to take a whole multivitamin with so much extra that I'm already getting from my food. That's why I created Complement Plus, the perfect nutrient formula for plant-based athletes.
Complement Plus brings together, in one place, the essential nutrients that are missing from a reasonably diverse, whole food plant-based diet:
- DHA/EPA Omega-3s
- Minerals like zinc, iodine, and selenium
Click here to learn more.