How do you make a plant-based diet work when you’re traveling?
Like so many other things, it depends.
For example: I’m about to set sail on the Holistic Holiday at Sea cruise, where the menu is all vegan (even oil-free vegan, if you want!). Afterward, I get to hang out with the NMA Miami running group for a day and check out a few of their favorite vegan spots in the city.
In this case, eating plant-based on the road (or the sea) is simple: the trip is largely planned around this diet, so there’s nothing to think about.
Podcast co-host Doug, on the other hand, is running a 100K this weekend, five hours away from Asheville, NC where we live. While ultramarathon aid stations tend to be fairly vegan-friendly, it’s risky to bet on it. What’s more, Doug has to make sure he eats well during the meals before and after that race. Much trickier than my trip, but as you’ll glean from listening to this episode, Doug’s taking it in stride.
A host of other considerations make the “vegan travel” answer a complicated one: Driving or flying? Big city or middle of nowhere? Hotel with a fridge? Just one destination, or multi-city roadtrip?
In this latest episode of No Meat Athlete Radio, we dive into the question of how to travel with your PBD. It’s a fun episode, and if you’ve never taken the time to check out the show — which we’re putting much more effort and time into these days — now’s as good a time as any. Enjoy!
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Breaking away from the three-meal-a-day mindset
- How to make use of grocery stores while traveling
- Tips for finding vegan-friendly restaurants in a new city
- What food to pack when traveling to a race
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Links from the Show
- 25+ Tips for Eating Vegetarian While Traveling (from the People Who Know Best)
- Vegan on the Road: How I’ve Eaten Healthier than Ever While Driving Across the Country
Phone number to ask listener questions: