When Runner’s World redesigned their magazine starting with this month’s issue, their stated goal was to have the magazine fit better into every runner’s world.
I’ll go ahead and speak for our crowd on this one, and say they’ve already hit a home run — in the form of two knee-high socks boasting “VEGAN” right on the cover (not to mention another instance of “vegan” in reference to the recipes).
But it gets better. On page 23, there’s a full-page feature on Micah Risk, the cover model — a 29-year-old mom, November Project devotee, 3:18 marathoner (a BQ in her first 26.2!), and nutritionist at Lighter, a company she co-founded in Boston to help women take control of their diets, with a focus on real, plant-based food. Plus she’s got a PMA tattoo … not quite NMA, but just as good!
It seems to me that you couldn’t pick a better person than Micah to spread our message on a mainstream platform, and today I’m thrilled to present an interview with this intriguing, street-stylish woman on NMA Radio.
PS — Speaking of Runner’s World, I’ll be at next month’s Runner’s World Half and Festival in Bethlehem, PA, along with Doug Hay, author of Rock Creek Runner and co-host of our podcast. The last RW event (in Boston) was a blast, so you’d like to join us, the discount codes below will save you 15% on any (or all) of the races. Hope to meet you there!
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- How Micah became a Runner’s World cover model
- The power and community of the November Project
- How Micah trained to run her Boston-qualifying first marathon
- What to eat before, during, and after a long run
- Micah’s goals as a plant-based nutritionist
- Where she got those socks!
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Links from the show:
- A New Runner’s World (letter from RW editor-in-chief David Willey)
- How I Fell Back In Love With Running (Heartbreak Hill Half and Festival Recap)
- Vegan Cuts
- Lighter (Micah’s nutrition company)
- The November Project
Discount codes for the Runner’s World Half and Festival in Bethlehem, PA, October 17-19:
- 5K: blognomeatathlete5K
- 10: blognomeatathlete10K
- Half Marathon: blognomeatathleteHalf
- 5K and 10K Combined: blognomeatathlete5&10
- All three races: blognomeatathleteHat