There’s nothing fun about injuries in any sport, but there’s one thing about running and other endurance sports injuries that makes them particularly devilish.
They generally happen when you’re the most excited about your training.
The reason why is pretty obvious — running injuries don’t usually happen suddenly, say, when another runner tackles you or punches you in the forehead.
You might slip or fall or roll an ankle every now and then, but most often, the injuries that sideline runners and endurance athletes are the result of overuse. We get big ideas about an upcoming race, or we fall in love all over again with running — and when we do, we run more.
More miles. Faster pace. More speedwork. We start running on our off days, or cross-training at the very least. It’s all going so great …
Until one day it isn’t. Something hurts, and gets worse. You have to stop altogether.
And then you go crazy.
Almost all of us have been there. And while there’s no one solution other than patience, there are things you can do to temper the frustration and disappointment and stay motivated until you can get back out there.
In this episode of NMA radio, Doug and I answer a few questions from Facebook and then talk to Mike Wardian, an elite vegetarian marathoner and ultrarunner who most recently won this year’s Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Marathon in DC, placed third at the 135-mile Badwater ultramarathon in 2011, and currently happens to be sidelined with an injury of his own.
Here’s how this month’s episode shakes out:
- How do you stay positive when you’re not at 100%? (2:40)
- When do you know to get back to training after an injury? (7:25)
- How do you maintain fitness while you’re recovering? (9:40)
- What’s the best way to start back up once you’re cleared to run again? (12:10)
- Mike Wardian interview starts (17:40)
- Doug and Matt wrap it up (50:40)
- Beer or wine at Thanksgiving dinner table? (53:15)
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes
Links from the show:
- How to Get Started with Running (our previous podcast episode)
- Paleo Diet for Vegetarians
- The Fruitarian
- A few of Mike’s sponsors: MarathonGuide.com, The North Face, PowerBar, Succeed, Petzl, Udo’s Oil, Sweetgreen
Our phone number where you can call in to submit your question for next episode: 707-786-3429
Big thanks to Mike Wardian for taking the time to hang out with us!