It seems to me that when it comes to supplements, most vegans fall into one of two camps:
- The “Eh, I’m probably getting everything I need from my food” camp, or
- The “Ahh! I need supplements and lots of them!” camp.
Until recently I was completely devoted to Camp 1 — supplements were the last thing on my mind. And as much as he might not like to admit it, I think Matt started out in Camp 2.
Over time, and after blood tests, we’ve both shifted our views to reflect a more moderate approach to supplements for plant-based athletes. We both take a few, find them to be useful in some situations, perhaps even necessary in others.
In today’s episode, it’s all about the supplements. What we take, which we recommend, and which can be avoided through a whole foods diet.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Do vegan athletes need to supplement their protein?
- Getting to the bottom of B12
- Why vitamin D is such an issue
- The problem with over-supplementation
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and you like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Phone number to ask listener questions:
Other links from the show:
- The Gear Page (Our vitamin and supplement recommendations)
- Vitamin B12 and the Case For (and Against) a Plant-Based Diet
- What Every Vegetarian Needs to Know About Iron
- Where Do You Get Your Protein? (Episode 92)