Most of us have a pre-race ritual: we wake up at a certain time, put on a certain outfit, do just the right amount of warming up.
But what about eating that final pre-race meal?
What to eat before a race is one of the toughest questions new runners struggle to answer. Eat too little and you’re low on energy and hungry late in the race. Eat too much and you feel bloated and heavy.
The balance between energy-packed and easy on the stomach is a delicate one to find, even for seasoned runners.
In today’s episode, we discuss what to eat the morning of a long run or race, and why solid foods might not be the best option. We also share our own routines … which happen to be remarkably different.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Eating for energy vs. eating for comfort
- Does “healthy” matter on race day?
- The optimal time for your pre-race meal
- Why I drink more than I eat before a race
- How to discover which foods work best for you
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher so you never miss an episode
If you’re a fan of NMA Radio (and you like all these new episodes we’re making!), we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Phone number to ask listener questions: