Last weekend, the Runner’s World Half and Festival was held in Bethlehem, PA, and Doug and I were lucky enough to be invited back for a second straight year. It was sponsored again by Altra, whose co-founder, Golden Harper, was a guest on NMA radio last year.
Just as before, the races, people, and events were a total blast. It was re-energizing to run with blogger friends, inspiring to hang around the Runner’s World crew and tour their headquarters, and entertaining to be hosted by the Mayor of Running himself, Bart Yasso.
But the event that stood out most for me wasn’t any of the races or the tour of Runner’s World, but instead the lunch chat we had with Deena Kastor.
For those who don’t know Deena, she’s arguably the most accomplished American female marathoner, and the American women’s record-holder for the marathon with a 2:19:36. Most, though, know her from her role in the documentary Spirit of the Marathon (which I used to watch on the eve of every marathon I ran).
During Deena’s time with our group, she talked mostly about the mental side of running, but also touched on her struggle to balance a career as an elite runner and the responsibilities of being a mother (to which she has, fortunately, found a resolution).
It’s a topic that hit home for me, as I’m still figuring out exactly the right balance among being the best father I can be for my two young children, running a business, and achieving my fitness goals. So in today’s episode, Doug and I decided to share our own thoughts on the topic, and how we attempt to navigate the constant give-and-take between the things we love.
Here’s just some of what we talk about in this episode:
- Our favorite moments from the Runner’s World Half and Festival
- Deena Kastor on running with your brain
- The question that immediately made Deena cry
- Is it possible to be a great parent, partner, or friend, and still do the things you love?
- Why it’s so important to involve your partner in your training
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher so you never miss an episode
If you like what we do at NMA Radio, we’d greatly appreciate it if you’d leave us a rating and review on iTunes. Thank you!
Phone number to ask listener questions:
Links from the show:
- Runner’s World Half and Festival
- Running With Your Brain: How Deena Kastor Saved My Race (Doug’s Post)
- Why Running Shoe Design Matters with Altra Running Founder Golden Harper (Episode 41)
Our favorite sponsors of the Runner’s World Half and Festival (thanks for a great event!):