Well, things with little Holden are starting to settle down as we adjust to life with a new baby and the resultant joy and lack of sleep. I’ll be back with a new post tomorrow; in the meantime, enjoy this final guest post, from my friend Jamie.
In addition to being the biggest granola-lover I know, Jamie likes running. A lot. Here I thought training for a 50-miler was a big deal, and this girl has seven 50-milers and three 50K’s to her name! You can read more about Jamie’s running and healthy message at her blog, I Like Granola.
Like Matt, I am a no-meat athlete; I’m not only a vegetarian but also an ultra marathoner. Among all of the other things I do in my life and my many identities, running and vegetarianism are the two things that tend to elicit the most response.
On being vegetarian:
- What do you eat? Lettuce?
- Yes, I eat big heaping bowls of plain lettuce for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Seriously, when did meat become the centerpiece of our plates?
- So you really never eat meat? What about Inn & Out?
- When I say I don’t eat meat, I mean it. Burgers count even if they’re from Inn & Out, White Castle, Carl’s Jr’s or whatever else you might have in mind.
- You’re no fun.
- Seriously, my own mother says this to me in response to me being a vegetarian. Since when does “fun” have anything to do with eating animals?
- How do you get enough protein?
- Actually I probably eat a more balanced diet than you. I eat a variety of legumes, quinoa, seeds, nuts, tofu and more.
- Don’t you get bored?
- Hardly. Read my blog and tell me if my meals sound boring. My guess is they’re probably much more exciting than your usual meat with a side of oily veggies.
On being an ultra-marathoner:
- 50 miles??!! – are you crazy?
- Yes, a little.
- 50 miles??!! – why would anyone want to run for that long? I can’t even drive that far.
- Running is fun; it not only challenges me physically but also mentally. And I’m sorry about you not being able to drive 50 miles, you really should try to get out more.
- How do you go to the bathroom?
- Well, errr, um…I’m assuming its very similar to how you do it. Do you really want me to elaborate?
- What would you even wear?
- Most of us just run naked – when you’re crazy enough to run 50 miles, why not just let it all hang out?
- You don’t listen to music!?!?? – how do you not get bored?
- No, I don’t listen to music while I run – its important to disconnect once in awhile. I appreciate taking in all the sights and sounds. I love talking to other runners, listening to the sounds of the trail and just being in my thoughts.
- How long does that take? I mean, 50 miles?!!!?
- Really depends on the course. Sometimes 10 hours, sometimes less.
- Running for that long is BAD for you.
- Says who? There’s nothing wrong with me. I’m in great shape and great health. Eating cheeseburgers and smoking cigarettes are BAD for you.
But seriously, all joking aside its really interesting how people react when you say you are a vegetarian or ultra marathon runner. What kind of funny reactions, questions have you received?