It seems to me that when it comes to supplements, most vegans fall into one of two camps:
- The “Eh, I’m probably getting everything I need from my food” camp, or
- The “Ahh! I need supplements and lots of them!” camp.
Until recently I was completely devoted to Camp 1 — supplements were the last thing on my mind. And as much as he might not like to admit it, I think Matt started out in Camp 2.
Over time, and after blood tests, we’ve both shifted our views to reflect a more moderate approach to supplements for plant-based athletes. We both take a few, find them to be useful in some situations, perhaps even necessary in others.
In today’s episode, it’s all about the supplements. What we take, which we recommend, and which can be avoided through a whole foods diet.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Do vegan athletes need to supplement their protein?
- Getting to the bottom of B12
- Why vitamin D is such an issue
- The problem with over-supplementation
Click the button below to listen now: