Quick announcement: In case you missed it on Black Friday, the 2015 No Meat Athlete Vegan Fitness bundle is officially live! You can save 85% on 22 great plant-based fitness products, many of them from authors you’ve heard as guests on NMA Radio. But this special bundle deal lasts only until Wednesday morning at 10am EST, so don’t miss it! Get all the details here.
By now, you know that protein isn’t the big deal that most people make it out to be.
But one reason the “Where do get your protein?” question exists, in my observation, is that as vegetarians and vegans we don’t have a simple, concise, and satisfactory answer.
We can talk about how we need much less than most people think, and how protein is in almost everything we eat, but unfortunately, this doesn’t often do much to convince anybody.
But now, thanks to surgeon Garth Davis, M.D., we can hand them a book. Garth is the author of Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It, and it was a pleasure to have him as a guest on No Meat Athlete Radio to talk about all things protein.
(Oh yeah: Garth’s quick answer to the protein question? “Food.”)
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- The shortest good answer to “Where do you get your protein?”
- How much protein we really need each day
- Why too much protein is unhealthy
- Do athletes need more protein?
- How the world became unhealthily obsessed with protein
- Is there any truth to the advice that you should combine proteins within a meal?
- How to deal with conflicting information on the web
Click the button below to listen now: