This week, the one between Christmas and New Year’s, is my favorite of the year. After the holiday celebrations have wound down, we finally have the opportunity to relax, to look back on the past year, and to get excited about all the possibilities in the next.
Last week, I wrote about why I still love New Year’s resolutions, even if they seem to have gotten a bad rap recently. In this eighth episode of No Meat Athlete Radio, Doug and I go a little bit deeper into the process of goal setting, as we discuss when, why, and how you can most effectively plan to do something great in the coming year.
Enjoy these last few days of 2012, and I hope that you’ll use them to think just a little bit harder than usual about what’s next for you. January 1st may not be inherently special on its own, I know, but there’s no reason you can’t choose to make it so.
Thanks so much for being a reader of No Meat Athlete this year. We’re truly grateful for your time, attention, and interaction, and we’re going to make 2013 our best year yet.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode:
- Why is New Years a good time to set goals? (2:10)
- Do you lose motivation if you postpone due to planning? (4:45)
- How big to make your resolutions (9:05)
- The importance of small wins (14:30)
- Why and how you should write down your goals (17:30)
- Seeing yourself as the person who achieves your goal (21:00)
- The power of accountability (23:30)
- Share your goals (32:00)
- 2013 No Meat Athlete plans (34:15)
- Quick-fire round! (39:00)
Help us out: If you’re a fan of the NMA podcast, we’d be immensely grateful if you’d take a second to leave us a review on iTunes.
Click the button below to listen now:
- Click here to download the MP3 file (you may need to right-click and “save link as”)
- Subscribe to the show on iTunes
Links from the show:
- Rock Creek Runner (Doug’s blog)
- In Defense of New Year’s Resolutions
- The Importance of Small Wins
- How Most People Fail (Before They Even Start)
- Keep Your Goals to Yourself (Derek Sivers’ TED Talk)
- Zen Habits
- No Meat Athlete store
- 25 Funniest Autocorrect Fails of 2012
Our phone number where you can call in to submit your question for the next episode: 707-786-3429